Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2: As We Journey Hand in Hand, My Friend.

From 365 Project: 2013


This is a bass drum head signed by all the drummers when in marched Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps in 2003. That summer was ROUGH. Both mentally and physically. To date, I don't think I've ever done anything so challenging. Being ten years removed from the experience and also having taught drum corps along the way, I've come to realize that my time and experience there was invaluable. I learned so much, both about the activity AND myself. I am truly grateful for my time there as well as the long lasting friendships I have made.

Today, the Glassmen announced that they would not be fielding a corps this summer. Financial reasons are to blame. It's been a VERY long time since a top 12 corps has dropped out for a summer, so it's quite shocking to the drum corps world. I am saddened by the news because there's always the possibility that they might not recover. However, I am also proud to be a part of an organization that knows when it's time to quit and not endanger the well being of the members and staff. (Because I have been on that side of the activity as well, and let me tell you, it sucks.) So, to the Glassmen, maybe your break be short, the lessons learned valuable, and may you come back in 2014 rocking it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment